The cap was introduced from July 2013 and is applied to the combined income from the main out-of-work benefits, plus child benefit and child tax credits for people of working age only.
From 1 April 2023 the rates are:
- £423.46 p/wk for couples and lone parents
- £283.71 p/wk for single adults
From 7 November 2016 the DWP reduced the cap to:
- £384.62 p/wk for couples and lone parents
- £257.69 p/wk for single adults
From July 2013 to 31 March 2016 the cap was:
- £500 p/wk for couples and lone parents
- £350 p/wk for single adult
More information on the Benefit Cap (Gov.uk)
Use the Benefits Calculator (Gov.uk) to work out how you will be affected.
Further help on budgeting for these changes can be obtained from the Citizens Advice Bureau.