Council Tax Energy Rebates - How we use your information

    At Stafford Borough Council we take your privacy seriously and will only keep and use your personal information for reasons that the law requires or allows. We are a data controller for the personal information we hold about you in relation to Council Tax Energy Rebate payments. In order to comply with data protection legislation we want to be sure you understand how we use this information.

    The purposes for which your data will be used are:-

    1. Ensuring that you are paid the Energy Rebate if you are entitled to it.
    2. Verifying the validity of bank details provided to receive payments, using approved online systems.
    3. Ensuring that payments are made in the most effective way.
    4. Verifying your application against our Council Tax records and updating Council Tax records if they are shown to be incorrect, as a result of information provided on a Rebate application.
    5. Ensuring that rebate payments are not made to people who make fraudulent applications.

    We are able to do this because the Government has required the Council, as a Billing Authority to manage the Energy Rebate Scheme insofar as it affects residents in our area. The scheme details are included in guidance given to Local authorities on 16 March 2022, available in full here. This may be updated from time to time.
    The scheme requires the Council to reference Rebate applications to its Council Tax records. The relevant legislation governing the maintenance of Council tax records includes; 

    • Local Government Finance Act 1988
    • Local Government Finance Act 1992
    • Council Tax (Administration and Enforcement) Regulations 1992
    • The Council Tax (Exempt Dwellings) Order 1992
    • The Council Tax (Discount Disregards) Order 1992
    • Local Government Finance Act 2012
    • The Council Tax Reduction Schemes (Default Scheme) (England) Regulations 2012
    • This list is not intended to be exhaustive.
    • We are required by law to hold and use some of your information for:
    • The administration of the Council Tax Energy Rebate scheme.
    • Preventing and detecting fraud and error within the Council Tax system schemes or other areas.

    We may share your information with;

    • The Revenues and Benefits section of the Council, responsible for the administration of the Council Tax function and awards of Local Council Tax Reduction and Housing Benefits.
    • Government departments responsible for the Energy Rebate scheme.

    Otherwise, we will only share your data if you ask us to, or if it is in the public interest to do so and the law requires or allows us to. Examples of this could be;

    • Notifying the Council’s electoral registration department of information, such as changes to the occupation of a dwelling, which assists with the maintenance of the electoral roll.
    • Notifying emergency services of properties that become unoccupied and therefore at risk of fire or criminal damage.
    • Notifying relevant Council officers of properties becoming unoccupied, in order that they may assist the owner to bring it back into use.

    We only keep this data for the time specified in our retention schedule or as required by law. 

    Your personal data is processed (including storage) within the European Economic Area only.

    Data protection law provides you with certain rights, however not all of these rights will be available to you in all situations, particularly where we process your information as part of one of our statutory duties. Where we are under a legal duty to use data for a particular purpose you will not have the right to prevent it being used in that way.

    A full list of the rights you may have, under data protection law, is given in the 'Your Rights' section of this webpage.

    If you wish to contact us in relation to any of your information rights, please contact the Information Manager at or Information Manager, Civic Centre, Cannock Chase Council, Beecroft Road, Cannock, WS11 1BG.

    If you wish to complain about how your personal information has been handled by the Council then please contact the Information Manager in the first instance using the details above. If you are not satisfied you can submit a formal complaint to the Council via Finally you can  complain to the Information Commissioner’s Office at: The Information Commissioner’s Office, Wycliffe House, Water Lane, Wilmslow, Cheshire, SK9 5AF, Tel: 0303 123 1113 or you can visit their website at

    You can also find details of how we handle your personal information by visiting


    Tel: 01785 619279
    Fax: 01785 619219

    How Do You Rate This Page?

    A to Z of Services