The full Council Tax bill assumes there are 2 adults (aged 18 or over) living in a dwelling. If only one adult lives in the property the council tax bill is reduced by 25%; this is known as Single Persons Discount. To apply for a Single Person Discount you will need to complete the Council Tax – Single Person Discount Application form.
Some residents are disregarded for Council Tax, these include people in the following groups:-
- Full time students
- Student nurses
- Apprentices and youth training trainees
- People in care homes
- People who are severely mentally impaired
- 18 and 19 year olds who are at, or just left school and intend to enrol for further education
- People for whom child benefit is payable
- Care workers working for low pay, usually for charities
- People caring for someone with a disability who is not their husband, wife, partner or a child under 18
- People in prison (except those in prison for non-payment of Council Tax or a fine)
We have a duty to undertake a review of all council tax discounts and exemptions on a regular basis. If your bill shows a discount or exemption, you must tell us about any change in circumstances which affects your entitlement, if you do not, you may be fined.