Land Charges - Personal Search Process and Guidance

    Please note we are no longer able to take cash payments at the Civic Centre.

    What is a personal search?

    A 'personal search' is a search of 'public registers' held by Local Authorities and Utility Companies.  The Highway Authority, Environment Agency, and water companies hold information that may affect your property.

    Register of Local Land Charge (appointment to be made with the Local Land Charge section)
    Register of Planning applications and
    Register of Environmental Protection Nuisance and Clean Air can be viewed at the main reception at the Civic Centre.

    Who can make a search of Public registers?

    Anyone can view a Public register.

    How do I make a Personal Search?

    Due to the Coronavirus outbreak Land Charges will provide email responses to Personal Search requests.

    To make a request you should email and provide the following :-

    • A location plan of the property/area to be searched against clearly outlined in red .
    • The correct postal address including postcode must be quoted.

    If we hold any information we will email you back within 24/48 hours.

    Other Information

    The Local Plan is available online to view information on Land Designations and Proposals.

    Information regarding The Contaminated Land Register, Hazardous Substance Consents and Noise Abatement Zones can be obtained by contacting our Environmental Health section.

    Information on Road Adoption, Public Rights of Way are available at Staffordshire County Council.  Contact these services directly to make an appointment.

    All enquiries regarding Public or Adopted Sewers should be directed to Severn Trent Water.

    Contact details:

    Land Charge Section
    Civic Centre, Riverside
    ST16 3AQ
    Tel: 01785 619534

    Stafford Borough Council
    Environmental and Health Services
    Civic Centre, Riverside
    ST16 3AQ
    Tel: 01785 619402

    Staffordshire County Council
    Development Services Department
    Land Charges Section
    ST16 3TJ
    Tel: 01785 226000
    Fax: 01785 276699

    Severn Trent Water Limited
    Severn Trent Searches
    PO Box 10155
    NG1 9HQ
    DX: 723860 Nottingham 43
    Tel: 0115 971 3550

    Environment Agency
    Sentinel House
    Wellington Crescent
    Fradley park
    WS13 8RR
    Tel: 08708506506

    A to Z of Services